There was a clear and compelling debate on the last hour of the Late Late Show last Friday. What is clear is that
– On the Retain side, there are compelling arguments – principally
- repeal = NO RIGHT TO LIFE – NO HUMAN RIGHTS for the BABY
- repeal = a lot of HURTING MOTHER‘s afterwards
- repeal = Trust POLITICIANS with a blank-cheque for all future Legislation
- repeal = WIDESPREAD abortion in Ireland (In the UK – abortions rose 500% in the first five years (1968 @ 22k -> 1972 @ 108k)
– On the Repeal side – there is no care or consideration given to the baby and the baby’s welfare or well-being. Their conversation is entirely about the mother. Purchasing and taking the abortion pill from the internet – is happening as widely in the UK as it is in Ireland.
While there are number of difficult types of cases – this is not what is being addressed – but it is what the Repeal Side are talking about.
The USA and UK Statistics show that between 2% and up to 3% of cases fall within the hard-case / medical related issues leading to abortion. Thus, 97%-98% of abortions are NOT for these reasons.
2016 – Irish Women having abortions in UK = 3,265, where these statistics come from, would mean
- if 3% of abortions are “hard-cases” = 98 cases
- 97% – of abortions are for ‘social reasons’ = 3,165 cases. These are what the Doctors and Obstetricians call HEALTHY BABIES being borne by HEALTHY IRISH MOTHERS.
- If the Referendum is passed and we follow the 500% growth that the UK did in 1968-72, then likely as not 15-16,000 healthy Irish Babies a year may be being aborted in Ireland by 2025, and a similar proportion of Irish mothers (and farther’s) who will live to regret those decisions.
Let’s not go there ….